Parks & Recreation
Please read below for updates on re-openings of Parks & Recreation Department facilities and status of programs:
- Aquatics programs - POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE: public swim; private swim lessons (private lessons are available at Atlantic Pool through Jax Mobile Swim School, a contracted swimming instruction service; email Whitney at email@example.com). Atlantic Pool is open for lap swim and Aqua Aerobics only. First come, first served. Social distancing waiting area available. Aqua Aerobics (Monday-Friday morning classes) have no separate classes for shallow and deep water. MLK, Jr. Pool is open for AquaGym Fitness classes Monday-Friday afternoons and AquaGym Boot Camp classes on Saturday mornings. Lap swim is available at MLK, Jr. Pool November on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings. View hours and download an informational flyer with information about Aqua Aerobics and AquaGym classes in Aquatics/Scuba section, Aqua Aerobics link. Lap swim information in Lap Swim & Public Swim Hours link.
- Atlantic Kiddie Pool is closed for the winter.
- Scuba certification classes are being offered but with a reduced class size (6 participants maximum), social distancing requirements, and online academics. More information in the Aquatics/Scuba section, Scuba Diving link.
- The Atlantic Recreation Center offices and MLK, Jr. Recreation Center offices are open.
- Youth and adult sports: Open Basketball, Youth Team Volleyball, Open Adult Volleyball, and Open Adult Indoor Soccer at Peck Gym.
- Peck Gym basketball/volleyball court and fitness areas are open.
- City sports fields: Hickory Street Park; Joe Velardi Field; Eugene Richo Field; Buccaneer Field on Beech Street (Fernandina Beach Football Association and Fernandina Beach Babe Ruth League only); Charles Albert Field (Elm Street Little League only); MLK, Jr. practice field; Ybor Alvarez Softball Fields and soccer fields (Amelia Island Youth Soccer Club on soccer fields only).
- Indoor fitness areas - Atlantic Fitness Room is open normal days/hours. Open "Fitness Opportunities" link, then scroll down to "Atlantic Fitness Room at the Atlantic Recreation Center" section for days/hours. Peck Gym Cardio Area and Weight Room are open: Monday - Friday, 11:00am-7:00pm (later hours on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays during evening court sports activities - open "Sports" link, then scroll down to "Peck Gym Activities" section for activities and times).
- Instructed programs: Aerial yoga and aerial dance classes at the Atlantic Center; yoga at the Atlantic Center; Karate, Kenjutsu, and Ju Jitsu at the Peck Center; youth and adult tennis clinics with Rod Gibson Tennis Services at Central Park Tennis Courts.
- Central Park tennis courts and pickleball courts, as well as the petanque courts, are open, but users are encouraged to maintain social distancing and employ personal protective measures.
- Amelia Island Lighthouse tours - SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
- The Fernandina Beach Skate Park at Main Beach is open, but users are encouraged to maintain social distancing and employ personal protective measures.
- The City’s restroom facilities at Main Beach Park and Seaside Park are open and will be cleaned and maintained four times daily per the terms of a Nassau County contract.
Additionally, indoor facility rentals are not being taken until further notice due to CDC recommendations of limiting group sizes. Rentals of park pavilions are being taken through the Atlantic Recreation Center administrative office, but renters are advised to adhere to CDC guidelines for social distancing (www.cdc.gov).
If you have questions about any of the information above, please call the Atlantic Recreation Center Administrative Office at 904-310-3350 Monday - Friday between 8:00am-6:30pm, Saturday between 8:00am-3:30pm. Changes/updates will be posted on this page as they become available. Thank you.
The Parks & Recreation Department is committed to enriching the quality of life through exceptional programs, parks, and other facilities, while preserving the community’s natural environment for the enjoyment of our citizens. The Parks & Recreation Department is responsible for:
- City parks and playgrounds
- Sports and fitness facilities
- Recreation centers/swimming pools
- Egans Creek Greenway
- Amelia Island Lighthouse
- Bosque Bello Cemetery
- Landscaping of Historic Downtown
- Lightning/Pool Status - ThorGuard
The Department also offers or co-sponsors various adult and youth sports and activities; aquatics programs and scuba instruction; youth afterschool programs and summer camps; senior programs; instructed programs; and special events.
Financial assistance is available for City-sponsored programs to any City resident that meets the financial criteria. Anyone interested should call the Atlantic Center Administrative Office at 904-310-3350 for more information.
To download a Financial Assistance Application, please click on the following link: Financial Assistance Application
Please allow three (3) business days for notification of approval or denial of financial assistance. Notification may be made by phone call, email, or mailed letter.
Thor Guard Lightning Prediction System at City Parks and Recreation Centers
For the outdoor safety of our citizens and guests, the City of Fernandina Beach has Thor Guard Lighting Prediction Systems installed at several locations throughout the city:
- Atlantic Recreation Center on Atlantic Avenue
- MLK, Jr. Recreation Center on Elm Street
- Main Beach Park
- Buccaneer Field on Beech Street
- Ybor Alvarez Sports Complex on Bailey Road
- Fire Station #2 (across Fletcher Avenue from Seaside Park)
When lightning is detected in the area of either of the above locations, a loud horn blast will sound from the system(s), as well as a strobe will flash. For an explanation of the procedure for the lighting prediction systems, please open the following link:
Register for our programs online!
You now have the capability to register for our programs online through the Parks & Recreation Department’s RecPro website: www.cofbparksandrec.us. First-time users must create accounts.
Currently, users may register for the following programs on the RecPro website:
- Senior trips
- Homeschool swim clinics (spring and fall)
- Summer group swimming lessons
- Summer Aqua Adventure Camp
- Summer Junior Lifeguard Exploration and Ocean Beach Junior Lifeguard
- 1-month, 4-months, and 12-months passes for Fitness, Pool, and Aqua Aerobics
- Adult sports leagues
Also, rental fees for pavilions in City parks may be paid online, and requests for facility rentals may be made.
Register for Callaghan's English Soccer Camp - Winter Afterschool Camp
December 7th - 11th
4:00 - 7:00pm each day
Ybor Alvarez Sports Complex, Softball Field #1
Ages 5 - 14
Register at the Atlantic Recreation Center through December 4th (or call 904-310-3350 to register over the phone with a credit card)
Download a flyer / registration form here: Callaghan's English Soccer Camp-Winter 2020
Register for Soccer Made in America Winter Soccer Training Camp
December 28th - 31st
9:00am - 12:00pm each day
Hickory Street Park
Ages 4 - 17
Register at the Atlantic Recreation Center through December 26th (or call 904-310-3350 to register over the phone with a credit card)
Download a flyer / registration form here: SMIA Winter Camp 2020
Opens in New Windo Opens in
Opens in New Window
Opens in New Window Opens in New Window Private Swim Lessons
Lessons available in either single 30-minute sessions or packages of 4 lessons. Ages 6 months - adult. Weekday morning and early afternoon hours only. Days and times are based on instructor availability.
For more information, please open the following link: Private swim lessons
NOT Opens in New Window Opens in New Window NOTE: Private swim lessons with City instructors are postponed until further notice. Lessons are available, however, at Atlantic Pool through Jax Mobile Swim School, a contracted swimming instruction service. Email Whitney at firstname.lastname@example.org
Opens a New Window.
Opens a New Window. Opens a New Window. Opens a New Wi O
Opens a New W Opens a New Win Opens a New Window. Parks Master Plan
October 20, 2015: The City Commission adopted the Parks and Recreation Master Plan. This plan is directed by the City’s Comprehensive Plan in the Recreation and Open Space Element. Email email@example.com for information.
Parks and Recreation Master Plan
Text only version
City Resident Verification Cards
In order to receive City resident rates for pool (Atlantic and MLK, Jr. Pools) or fitness (Atlantic Fitness Room and Peck Gym) use, patrons must show City Resident Verification Cards. City Resident Cards may be obtained at the Atlantic Recreation Center. To obtain a card, a patron must show proof of address (driver’s license, City water bill). City resident status will be confirmed via the Nassau County Property Appraiser’s website. Patron will then have his/her picture taken. First card is free, replacement or duplicate cards are $5 each.
NOTE: Active and retired U.S military receive City resident rates on all applicable department programs with valid military identification
Atlantic Fitness Room
This workout facility at the Atlantic Recreation Center possesses all of the equipment you need for a total body workout - cardio equipment; selectorized machines; resistance bands; free weights; and more. The price is right, whether paying daily or monthly fees, and there are NO initiation fees and NO contracts. Personal training with a certified trainer is available. If you’re ready to get in shape, this facility will meet all of your fitness needs.
Fitness Facility Fees: Link