General Election - November 3, 2020Elections are held each even numbered year for City Commission Groups as follows:
Groups up for Election:
City Commission, Group 1
City Commission, Group 2
City Commission, Group 3
Runoff Election (if necessary) - December 8, 2020
Year - Group
2019 - No Election
2020 - Groups 1, 2 & 3
2021 - No Election
2022 - Groups 4 & 5
Newly elected Commissioners shall be sworn in and assume the duties of office at the Organizational Meeting of the City Commission held at 5:00 pm on the third Tuesday of December, or at such other reasonable time or date that the City Commission may designate, unless the election results are not certified. In that event, the Commissioners will be sworn in and assume the duties of their offices at the next regular City Commission meeting following certification.
2020 General Election Qualifying Period
Begins: to be determined
Concludes: to be determined
In accordance with Code of Ordinances Section 34-2 every candidate for election as a member of the City Commission shall file a notice of candidacy with the City Clerk during the Qualifying Period as set by resolution each year by the City Commission. Upon filing of the notice, all documents required by this Code, City Charter and/or Florida Statute Election laws shall be given to the City Clerk, and all required Qualifying Fees shall be paid.
The City Clerk coordinates City General Elections and Runoff elections with the Nassau County Supervisor of Elections Office and is the official Qualifying Officer for candidates seeking elected office within the City of Fernandina Beach.
2020 General Election Petition Deadline
Friday, July 3, 2020 - Prior to 12 noon
Number of valid petitions required to qualify - 108
In accordance with Sec. 34-4. A person seeking to qualify by the alternative method of qualifying may qualify to have his name placed on the ballot by means of the process as prescribed in F.S. 99.095, which by this reference is hereby incorporated in this section. (b) The person qualifying by this alternative method shall obtain the signatures on petitions in accordance with Florida Statute.
Canvassing Board InformationAll meetings of the Canvassing Board are held at the Nassau County Supervisor of Elections’ Office, Canvassing Board Room in the James S. Page Governmental Complex, 96135 Nassau Place, Yulee Florida 32097
Straw Ballot for Mayor
In accordance with City Code Section 34-9, the Mayor of the City is selected by virtue of a straw ballot election which is held in conjunction with the regular election held for the purpose of electing City Commissioners. The results of the straw ballot shall be taken under advisement by the City Commission for the appointment for the Mayor at the annual Organizational Meeting to be held on the third Tuesday in December of each year, or at such other reasonable time or date in December that the City Commission may designate.
Terms and Qualifications
In 2020, the term of office for elected officials is four years, with a two-term limit. A candidate seeking to qualify for a City Commission seat must:
- Be a qualified, registered voter in the City of Fernandina Beach;
- File his/her qualifying papers during the Qualifying Period;
- Pay the Election Assessment Fee in an amount equal to one percent of the annual salary of the office sought ($120.00). See Section 99.093(1) Florida Statute;
- And qualify by one of the following methods for their name to appear on the ballot:
1. Qualifying Fee Method: Pay the Qualifying Fee in a sum equal to three percent (3%) of the annual salary ($12,000) paid to a member of the City Commission of the fiscal year preceding the notice of filing for candidacy in the amount of $360.00. See City Code Section 34-3 and FS 99.092); or
2. Petition Method: Obtain signatures of one percent (1%) of the total number of registered voters (10,796) in the last City General Election which equates to 108 valid petition signatures. If a candidate obtains the signatures of one percent (1%) of registered voters, s/he will not be required to pay the Qualifying Fee in the amount of $360.00.
IMPORTANT: The petition deadline for 108 candidate petitions, with valid City of Fernandina Beach registered voters'
signatures to be submitted to the Nassau County Supervisor of Elections Office is Friday, July 3, 2020, prior to 12:00 noon.
Newly elected officers shall be sworn in and assume the duties of office at the Organizational Meeting of the City Commission held at 5:00 p.m. on the third Tuesday of December, or at such other reasonable time or date that the City Commission may designate, unless the election results are not certified. In that event, the officers will be sworn in and assume the duties of their offices at the next regular City Commission meeting following certification.
Voter Registration and Important Information
To register to vote, or make changes to your voter registration; please visit any of the following locations:
- City Clerk's Office, City Hall, 204 Ash Street, Fernandina Beach, FL 32034
- Nassau County Supervisor of Elections Office, 96135 Nassau Place, Suite #3, Yulee, FL