Parks & Recreation
Parks & Recreation Department Activities Postponed/Facilities Closed Until Further Notice
Due to concerns with the coronavirus, all Parks & Recreation Department activities/programs are postponed and facilities closed until further notice. These include:
- Aquatics programs - lap and public swim; aqua aerobics; homeschool swim; private swim lessons; lifeguard certification; scuba certification. Atlantic and MLK, Jr. swimming pools are closed until further notice.
- Youth programs - Amelia Preschool and Camp Amelia Afterschool programs at the Atlantic Center; Afterschool Tutoring at the MLK, Jr. Center. The Atlantic Recreation Center and MLK, Jr. Recreation Center are closed until further notice.
- Youth and adult athletics/leagues - Homeschool Basketball, Open Basketball, Youth Team Volleyball, Open Adult Volleyball, and Open Adult Indoor Soccer at Peck Gym; Spring Men’s Basketball League at Peck Gym (NOTE: Peck Gym is closed until further notice); Co-ed Open Softball League at the Ybor Alvarez Softball Fields.
- Indoor Fitness Areas - Atlantic Fitness Room; Peck Gym Cardio Area and Weight Room.
- Instructed programs - Karate, Little Ms. Fitness Fernandina, Kenjutsu, and Ju Jitsu at the Peck Center; youth and adult tennis clinics at the Central Park Tennis Courts; pickleball clinics at Central Park Pickleball Courts (NOTE: Central Park Tennis Courts and Pickleball Courts are closed until further notice); aerial yoga and aerial dance classes at the Atlantic Center; yoga at the Atlantic Center; Certified Pool Operator course (scheduled for March 25 - 26 - postponed).
- Amelia Island Lighthouse tours
- Senior Meet & Greet
Additionally, indoor facility rentals are not being taken until further notice. Wild Nites lectures are cancelled on April 14th and May 12th. Wild Amelia Festival (May 15 - 17) and related activities are postponed until further notice.
If you have questions about any of the information above, please call the Atlantic Recreation Center Administrative Office at 904-310-3350 Monday - Friday between 8:00am-5:00pm. Changes/updates will be posted on this page as they become available. Thank you.
The Parks & Recreation Department is committed to enriching the quality of life through exceptional programs, parks, and other facilities, while preserving the community’s natural environment for the enjoyment of our citizens. The Parks & Recreation Department is responsible for:
- City parks and playgrounds
- Sports and fitness facilities
- Recreation centers/swimming pools
- Egans Creek Greenway
- Amelia Island Lighthouse
- Bosque Bello Cemetery
- Landscaping of Historic Downtown
- Bicycling brochure and map
- Lightning/Pool Status - ThorGuard
The Department also offers or co-sponsors various adult and youth sports and activities; aquatics programs and scuba instruction; youth afterschool programs and summer camps; senior programs; instructed programs; and special events.
Financial assistance is available for City-sponsored programs to any City resident that meets the financial criteria. Anyone interested should call the Atlantic Center Administrative Office at 904-310-3350 for more information.
To download a Financial Assistance Application, please click on the following link: Financial Assistance Application
Please allow three (3) business days for notification of approval or denial of financial assistance. Notification may be made by phone call, email, or mailed letter.
Thor Guard Lightning Prediction System at City Parks and Recreation Centers
For the outdoor safety of our citizens and guests, the City of Fernandina Beach has Thor Guard Lighting Prediction Systems installed at several locations throughout the city:
- Atlantic Recreation Center on Atlantic Avenue
- MLK, Jr. Recreation Center on Elm Street
- Main Beach Park
- Buccaneer Field on Beech Street
- Ybor Alvarez Sports Complex on Bailey Road
- Fire Station #2 (across Fletcher Avenue from Seaside Park)
When lightning is detected in the area of either of the above locations, a loud horn blast will sound from the system(s), as well as a strobe will flash. For an explanation of the procedure for the lighting prediction systems, please open the following link:
Register for our programs online!
You now have the capability to register for our programs online through the Parks & Recreation Department’s RecPro website: www.cofbparksandrec.us. First-time users must create accounts.
Currently, users may register for the following programs on the RecPro website:
- Amelia Pre-school, Camp Amelia Afterschool, and Summer Camp Amelia at the Atlantic Recreation Center
- Senior trips
- Homeschool swim clinics (spring and fall)
- Summer group swimming lessons
- Summer Aqua Adventure Camp
- Summer Junior Lifeguard Exploration and Ocean Beach Junior Lifeguard
- 1-month, 4-months, and 12-months passes for Fitness, Pool, and Aqua Aerobics
- Adult sports leagues
Also, rental fees for pavilions in City parks may be paid online, and requests for facility rentals may be made. Opens in New Window
Register Now for Summer Aquatics Programs
Register now for the following summer aquatics programs:
- Summer Group Swimming Lessons - American Red Cross Learn to Swim Levels 1 - 4
- Junior Lifeguard Exploration (mainly swimming pool instruction, with some beach, water park, and river instruction; ages 9 - 13)
- Ocean Beach Junior Lifeguard (primarily held at Main Beach; more advanced minimum swimming skill level required than Exploration program; ages 10 - 15)
- Aqua Adventure Camp
Open the following link for requirements, schedules, fees, and registration information for all of the above programs: Summer 2020 Aquatics Programs
Opens in New Windo Opens in
Opens in New Window Opens in New Window Private Swim Lessons
Lessons available in either single 30-minute sessions or packages of 4 lessons. Ages 6 months - adult. Weekday morning and early afternoon hours only. Days and times are based on instructor availability.
For more information, please open the following link: Private swim lessons
NOT Opens in New Window Opens in New Window NOTE: Private swim lessons are postponed until further notice.
Opens a New Window.
Opens a New Window. Opens a New Window. Opens a New Wi O
Opens a New W Opens a New Win Opens a New Window. Parks Master Plan
October 20, 2015: The City Commission adopted the Parks and Recreation Master Plan Opens a New Window. . This plan is directed by the City’s Comprehensive Plan in the Recreation and Open Space Element.
City Resident Verification Cards
In order to receive City resident rates for pool (Atlantic and MLK, Jr. Pools) or fitness (Atlantic Fitness Room and Peck Gym) use, patrons must show City Resident Verification Cards. City Resident Cards may be obtained at the Atlantic Recreation Center. To obtain a card, a patron must show proof of address (driver’s license, City water bill). City resident status will be confirmed via the Nassau County Property Appraiser’s website. Patron will then have his/her picture taken. First card is free, replacement or duplicate cards are $5 each.
NOTE: Active and retired U.S military receive City resident rates on all applicable department programs with valid military identification
Atlantic Fitness Room
This workout facility at the Atlantic Recreation Center possesses all of the equipment you need for a total body workout - cardio equipment; selectorized machines; resistance bands; free weights; and more. The price is right, whether paying daily or monthly fees, and there are NO initiation fees and NO contracts. Personal training with a certified trainer is available. If you’re ready to get in shape, this facility will meet all of your fitness needs.
Fitness Facility Fees: Link